Thursday, November 19, 2009

The Best Blue Hue

Have you ever put on a blue shirt, only to be disappointed by the imperfection of the hue of the blue? Well, fret no more. Scientists at the Oregon State University have found a solution to the age old question of the “perfect blue”. As Lab Spaces explains, “An accidental discovery in a laboratory at Oregon State University has apparently solved a quest that over thousands of years has absorbed the energies of ancient Egyptians, the Han dynasty in China, Mayan cultures and more – the creation of a near-perfect blue pigment."

If you are like me, you are rejoicing at the fact that this mighty quest has been completed, and… wait, what was this ancient task, finding the perfect blue? I may be in the minority, but I am wearing a blue shirt at the moment, and find I have little quarrel with the its blue. I find it odd that a more perfect blue is the focus of scientists’ attention. When I think of the energy needs of today and how science has yet to provide a viable solution to the quickly diminishing natural sources of energy, I wonder how finding a better blue is a victory. Sure, this new blue is great, but is it cause for celebration among scientists who could otherwise be finding new sources of energy? Probably not.

1 comment:

  1. I'm not wearing a blue shirt but I was actually was very excited for this! But I don't understand how there is a perfect blue? Isn't that subjective?
    When I was in high school I only wrote with blue pens and my principal would always ask me why (we were obviously best friends) and I always explained it by saying I liked the color. And then he insisted on always using black because it was consistent whereas with blue pens, the shade is always different. Perhaps I should send this to him.

    ReplyDelete